We hold the main Sheep Dog Trials on the Bamford with Thornhill Recreation Ground every Spring Bank Holiday Monday (last Monday in May) from approximately 7.30am to 6pm.
This historic, traditional event is always a brilliant day and offers a great atmosphere for all the family. It is amazing to watch the dogs and handlers at work and watch the teamwork between man and dog that has been built up over years of training. These are skills that have been passed over the generations of sheep farmers over many years.
CLASS 1 – OPEN TO ALL
Single dogs; £200, £100, £70, £60, £50, £40, £30, £25, £20
(Confined to TWO entries only)
With an Award of the E H SLATER CUP, to be held for one year
Entrance fee: £5.00 per dog
CLASS 2 – OPEN TO ALL
Double Dogs; £15, £10, £5
With an Award of the W TALBOT CUP, to be held for one year
Entrance fee: £2.00
(Run in conjunction with the OPEN SINGLES CLASS and open to competitors living in a 14-mile radius of Bamford Parish Church
A prize of £30 together with the TAGG MEMORIAL TROPHY and the PRESIDENT’S PRIZE will be awarded to the LOCAL COMPETITOR in the OPEN CLASS with the highest points. The second highest pointed local competitor with be awarded the E W GREEN TROPHY and £20. The third highest pointed local competitor will receive £15, the HANCOCK BOWL and the BEDFORD dog collar and chain. The NORTHWOOD TROPHY will be awarded to the fourth placed local competitor.
- A special prize of £5 and the JOE DENNIFF MEMORIAL TROPHY will be awarded to the local dog with the most points, which has not won a prize in a local or open competition up to the date of these trials.
- ALBERT HEMMING MEMORIAL TROPHY presented by Mrs B Hemming will be awarded to the best driving dog in the Local class
- The NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK TROPHY will be awarded to the best driving dog in the Open Class
- A Members Prize of £10 together with a Challenge Cup donated by NU-LIFE WINDOWS will be awarded to the highest pointed dog in the open singles class whose handler is a paid up member of the Association. Full benefits of membership will apply to all competitors who are not presently members and who submit their annual subscription, currently £4, with their entry fees.
- The DAVID MARSDEN MEMORIAL TROPHY will be awarded annually to the highest pointed dog ion the Open Class run by a Competitor Member.
- The International Sheep Dog Society “Young Handler Award Rosette” together with their special prize of £20 will be awarded to the best young handler at the Trials (maximum upper age limit 25 years)
- The YORKSHIRE BRIDGE TROPHY will be awarded to the Best Young Handler
- A special prize of £5 and the CONNIE DENNIFF MEMORIAL TROPHY will be awarded to the youngest competitor