We hold the main Sheep Dog Trials on the Bamford with Thornhill Recreation Ground every Spring Bank Holiday Monday (last Monday in May) from approximately 7.30am to 6pm.
This historic, traditional event is always a brilliant day and offers a great atmosphere for all the family. It is amazing to watch the dogs and handlers at work and watch the teamwork between man and dog that has been built up over years of training. These are skills that have been passed over the generations of sheep farmers over many years.
CLASS 1 – OPEN TO ALL | Single dogs | Restricted to two entries per competitor
Prize money £200, £100, £70, £60, £50, £40, £30, £25, £20
The first prize winner will also receive the EH SLATER CUP and the TAGG MEMORIAL TROPHY each to be held for one year.
Entry fee £5 Judge: Mr Dick Roper, Northleach
CLASS 2 – OPEN TO ALL | Double dogs
Prize money £15, £10, £5
The first prize winner will also receive the W TALBOT CUP to be held for one year.
Entry fee £2 Judge: Mr P Wood, Derwent
This will be run in conjunction with the Open Singles class and is open to all competitors residing within a 14-mile radius of Bamford Parish Church. Prizes will be awarded as follows to the local competitors scoring the highest points in Class 1.
Highest pointed competitor: £30, JOE TAGG CUP and the PRESIDENT’S PRIZE
2nd highest: £20 and the EW GREEN TROPHY
3rd highest: £15, the HANCOCK BOWL and the BEDFORD dog collar and lead
4th highest: the NORTHWOOD TROPHY
- JOE DENNIFF MEMORIAL TROPHY and a special prize of £5 will be awarded to the local dog with the most points which has not won a prize in a local or open competition up to the date of the trials. Please indicate on entry form if eligible.
- ALBERT HEMMING MEMORIAL TROPHY for the best driving dog in the Local Class.
- NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK TROPHY for the best driving dog in the Open Class.
- NULIFE WINDOWS TROPHY and £10 for the highest pointed dog in the Open Singles class whose handler is a paid up member of the Association. Full benefits of membership will apply to all competitors not currently members who submit their annual subscription, currently £4, with their entry fees.
- DAVID MARSDEN MEMORIAL TROPHY for the highest pointed dog in the Open Class run by a local member of the Association.
- INTERNATIONAL SHEEP DOG SOCIETY offers a “Young Handler Award Rosette” and £20 to the best young handler at the trials. Maximum upper age limit 25 years.
- YORKSHIRE BRIDGE TROPHY for the Young Handler showing most promise.
- CONNIE DENNIFF MEMORIAL TROPHY and £5 to the youngest competitor.
All trophies remain the property of the Association and are offered for annual competition
Competitors Secretary: Roger Phaff 01433 651474